Quick Stats and mini stroll down memory lane:
- I had just turned 39 when he was born.
- He was born 1 day before his due date. 8 lbs 3oz and 22" long.
- I labored at home for about 4 - 5 hours. We really should have left the house much sooner than we did but I insisted that my husband clean the bathroom where my water broke because I didn't want to come home to that.
- I had my eyes closed the whole ride to the hospital, concentrating on my breathing because the urge to push was so strong. I made my hubby run a red light (Just GO!) and then he PASSED the hospital.
- I was already at 8cm when we got to the hospital. I had my first ever wheelchair ride up to triage followed by my first ever gurney ride. They were RUNNING me up to the elevator to the delivery room - it was funny as they were so frantic that we crashed a couple of times. I was in good spirits luckily and joked with the nurses.
- I gave birth wearing the tank top I came in with (no time to change into a gown).
- My birth plan said no epidural but I got scared asked for one. I changed my mind back to no epidural since they said I was already at 10 cm. I was shocked that the worst of it had passed and I was OK.
- HOWEVER, after a joyous medical intervention-free birth: the placenta did not completely detach. After waiting with still no results the doctor feared hemorrhaging so in the end intervention was necessary (and PAINFUL).
- I did not change a single diaper during our hospital stay. My husband never left my side and took care of the diapers so that I could rest.
One day I'll write my full birth story but for now a quick recap should do.
Happy Mother's day all and THANK YOU to God and my hubby for making a Momma's dream come true. To our son: We love you.